GitHub Online Training (Dec, 2010)
- Time & Place
This course is live training from an expert in Git. We'll have six 50 minutes sessions during which we'll explore the foundations of Git through the practical every-day commands. We'll conclude with some workflow ideas and practical tips that will get you on the road to success with this revolutionary version control system.
- What is Git?
- Installing Git
- Day-to-day commands
- Git under the hood: Hashes, DAGs and Treeish
- A code-and-commit workflow
- Branching in Git
- Navigating the tree: diff, ls-tree and show
Basic knowledge about a version control system, whether that be Subversion, CVS, Perforce, StarTeam, SourceSafe, ClearCase or any similar product.
- Understand how Git works and how to apply that to day to day development.
- Learn the basic 10 commands that will appear in every-day use of Git.
- Know how to "back out" mistakes using Git's incredible history and ability to revert almost any change.
- Leverage the collaboration features of Git for productivity boosts with colleagues.
- Discover how the offline capabilities of Git work "under the hood" and how to use those to work in more places with less reliance on connectivity.
Matthew McCullough is an energetic 15 year veteran of enterprise software development, open source education, and co-founder of Ambient Ideas, LLC, a Denver consultancy. Matthew currently is a member of the JCP, reviewer for technology publishers, author of the Presentation Patterns & Anti-Patterns book, multi-year speaker on the No Fluff Just Stuff tour, presenter at dozens of international conferences, author of three of the 10 most popular DZone RefCardz (including Git) and President of the Denver Open Source Users Group.
Git has been a primary tool in Matthew's teaching and consulting practice for several years. Matthew's helped small shops to 5,000 person companies convert from proprietary version control systems over to Git, helping them maximize the benefits and minimize efforts. The resulting productivity and collaboration boosts from development teams have been nothing short of amazing.
Matthew resides in Denver with his beautiful wife and two young daughters, who are active in nearly every outdoor activity Colorado offers.